INFORMATION ON TOFO
* Tofo Beach is located 20km from the historic port city of Inhambane in Southern Mozambique, just over 500km north of the capital Maputo. With miles upon miles of unspoiled, pristine, tropical beaches and warm Indian Ocean waters teeming with marine life, it has been described as "the next Goa". Whilst this may be pushing it a bit, Tofo has definitely become a traveller’s Mecca on the Eastern coast of Africa. The reasons are not hard to discern: beautiful stretches of beach, a friendly laid-back vibe, a small but pumping nightlife, great diving and snorkelling and a few good restaurants, too. Tofo has a much livelier atmosphere and nightlife in comparison with the quieter resorts found south of Inhambane. There is a good range of budget accommodation all along the beach, but backpackers may feel a little marginalised.
Tofo is now known among international divers as one of the best places in the world to have close encounters with Manta Rays and Whale Sharks. Both Mantas and Whale Sharks can be seen in Tofo all year round.
Our winter months see the arrival of the humpback whales migrating south and a great day of diving in the winter can include all of these majestic creatures in one morning - nowhere else in the world can offer this remarkable combination!!
Ideas and travel options from Johannesburg International Airport to Tofo Beach
When flying into OT Airport Johannesburg there are a number of travel routes and options that will get you to Tofo, dependent on what you want to experience. Firstly, you could either hire a car at the airport and drive through to Nelspruit, there is a branch of Tempest Car Hire at Kruger International Airport contact details below..
Contact: Reservations Tel: +27 11 578 8300 (OT Airport JHB) +27 13 750 2765 (Kruger Intl Nelspruit) Web: www.tempestcarhire.co.za
Alternatively, there is a travel bus company that run from the airport to Nelspruit and these guys will drop you at the door of Funkey Monkeys
This is a great option if you are looking for the cheaper view of the Krugar Park. The park opens its gates at 6am every morning - take a packed lunch and see the wonders of the wildlife at your own pace. Alternatively, the number one backpackers in Nelspruit is Funkey Monkeys (102 Van Wijk Street, Nelspruit). They run 2 - 5 day excursions with fully qualified guides to give you a more informed and knowledgeable trip of the Kruger.
Once at the border, call Fatimas Nest Backpackers on the following number to arrange to collect you from the drop off point in Maputo. Stay there the night and next day they have a direct shuttle to Fatimas Nest Backpackers in Tofo.
If cost isn’t a problem, you can fly directly from OT Intl Airport - Inhambane airport via the Mozambique airline LAM.
Below is a travel company that run trips up and down the coasts of Africa. Their name is Blue Chilli Adventures but be sure to give these guys plenty of notice as they don’t run regularly.
A new travel route brings eager tourists door to door from South Africa to Tofo and back - See below:
- Transfers from Johannesburg / Pretoria via Nelspruit to Mozambique (Tofo Beach)
Johannesburg/Pretoria to Nelspruit, en route to Mozambque - leaves Monday, Wednesday & Friday R280 pp one way
- Nelspruit to Johannesburg / Pretoria - Leaves Monday, Wednesday & Friday R280 pp one way
- Johannesburg / Pretoria to Maputo, Via Nelspruit & Komatiepoort - Leaves Monday, Wednesday & Friday R375 pp one way
- Maputo to Johannesburg / Pretoria via Komatiepoort & Nelspruit - Leaves Monday, Wednesday & Friday R375 pp one way
- Maputo to Tofo Beach / Barra (Mozambique) - Leaves Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday R375 pp one way
- Tofo Beach / Barra to Maputo (Mozambique) - Leaves Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday R375 pp one way
- Johannesburg / Pretoria to Tofo Beach / Barra (Mozambique) - Leaves Monday, Wednesday & Friday R750 pp one way
(OVERNIGHT STOP IN MAPUTO AT OWN COST)
- Tofo Beach / Barra (Mozambique) to Johannesburg / Pretoria - Leaves Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday R750 pp one way
(OVERNIGHT STOP IN MAPUTO AT OWN COST )
- Transfers from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls Zimbabwe R 1500 pp one way - Overnight stop included en route (camping equipment provided for the seven days).
These trips are with excellent new and clean 7 & 14 seater - Drivers who have vast knowledge, understanding & experience travelling all over Africa.
Contact: Wayne / Nikki
Tel Number SA : +27 827 195100 / +27 764 614310
Tel Number Moz : +258 84 4928176